|...poster by slidesideways on Etsy...|
- Handmade Products Are Unique: In this age of cookie cutter houses and mass production, we could all use a little individuality. When you buy handmade goods you buy one-of-a-kind. Even for the few artists who are able to easily re-create their products, you can bet they are still pretty rare! I guarantee you'll hear less "I have the same one!"
- Handmade Products Make Better Gifts: Because of their uniqueness, handmade products make amazing gifts. Handmade gifts are more meaningful, and most likely have a great story attached to it. The love and care that was put into making the product is passed onto the recipient of your gift.
- Buying Handmade Battles Big Business: When you buy handmade products, you're putting money into the hands of the artist and keeping it out of the pocket of "the man". (He doesn't need another Ferrari anyways!) Artists work hard for what they create, and the best way to support them is to buy from them directly.
- Buying Handmade is Eco-friendly: Mass production may have a cheaper price tag now, but you and the environment pay a large price in the end. By purchasing handmade products you avoid pollution from factories and reduce waste. Handmade artists often up-cycle and are very conscious about the environment.
- Handmade Products are Good for Human Society: Most of the products we buy in stores are made overseas under inhumane working conditions. While none of us are intentionally trying to hurt another human, we are indirectly supporting child-labor and other horrible practices when we buy mass produced products. Aside from this huge factor in human rights, the handmade community also re-connects people. There's something to be said about knowing exactly who made the item you purchase. Handmade products promote creativity in our society!
Buy Handmade Video from Etsy on Vimeo.
Remember to recycle, re-use and up-cycle whenever possible! This article was in no way intended to promote consumerism or encourage you to buy. However, when you must buy...consider the benefits of buying handmade. Why do you buy handmade?? Leave me a comment and let me know!